Magic is based on The 9 Conclaves of Demon Princes. Each conclave encompasses a type of effects tied to it. The basics of spellcasting:
- There are 9 conclaves, each is an IQ/H skill, with bonus from Magery.
- Each conclave has 9 Hard techniques defaulting to Conclave skill-1. This is called a school, or a specialty, and is tied directly to a specific Demon Prince in the Conclave.
- You cannot have more points in techniques than you have spent on the conclave skill they are based on.
- A technique may be bought up to a level equal to (Relevant Conclave + Magery).
- To be able to cast spontaneous magic, you must have at least 1 CP in all the conclave skills involved.
- To be able to cast magic reliably, you will need to have at least 1 CP in each of Spellshaping, Spellfocus, and Spellcontrol. For each one of these you lack, you will be at a -6 penalty to any attempt at casting magic.
|Spellshaping||IQ/H||IQ-6||Bonus from Magery||Shape the mana into a controlled stream|
|Spellfocus||IQ/H||IQ-6||Bonus from Magery||Focus the stream, building up power, and refining it|
|Spellcontrol||IQ/H||IQ-6||Bonus from Magery||Control all the energy gathered with Spellfocus|
|Spellcraft||Per/H||None||Bonus from Magery||Used to detect and analyze magic encountered|
|Conclave (specialty)||IQ/H||None||Bonus from Magery||Be sure to have the skills covering your effect|
Spells can be learned
You can cast spells on the fly without learning them first. You need to know all the Conclave skills involved in the spell to be able to cast it. It takes three rounds to cast a spontaneous spell:
- Step 1 – Roll against the lowest of Spellshaping or the relevant Conclave/Technique (the primary active component)
- Step 2 – Roll against spell focus. You can put any amount of mana up to Magery. In addition to this, each MoS lets you add either 2 mana or 5% worth of enhancements to your spell. You choose how much mana to draw from the flow before rolling.
- Step 3 – Roll against modified Spellcontrol to cast the spell.
Each step takes 1 second. You can take a -2 penalty to combine round 2 and 3, or a -5 penalty to do all three steps in one round. You still need to do all the steps, it just takes less time. This penalty applies to all the steps they affect.
Three Steps – Details
Step 1 – Spellshaping (IQ/H, defaults to IQ-6)
Roll against the lowest of Spellshaping or the relevant Conclave/Technique (the primary active component). The GM will decide what component in your spell will be the primary active one.
Modifiers: -2 for each material component lacking. Schools in the Conclave of Magic do not require components.
Each Demon Prince has an associated domain, and some materials he is particularly fond of. Not using materials at all nets a -2 per school (excluding the ones from Conclave of Magic). Using a material related to the Demon Prince, but not one that’s his favourite, nets a -1. Read more about materials in the Demon Prince section.
Step 2 – Spellfocus (IQ/H, defaults to IQ-6)
Roll against spell focus. You can put any amount of mana up to Magery. In addition to this, each MoS lets you add either 2 mana or 5% worth of enhancements to your spell. You choose how much mana to draw from the flow before rolling.
You can choose, before you roll, to draw any amount of mana from Niliendathil, taking a penalty of -2 per mana.
After rolling, you add mana from yourself. You may put any amount up to your Magery level into the spell. In addition to this, each Margin of Success lets you add either 2 mana or 5% worth of enhancements.
Modifiers: -2 per mana drawn from the flow. 1: 2 sec, +2: 4sec, +3: 8 sec, +4: 15 sec, +5: 30 sec, +6: 1 min., +7: 2 min, +8: 4 min, +9: 8 min, +10: 15 min.)
Any assisting mages can contribute mana up to their own Magery level. This incurs no penalty to the caster.
Step 3 – Spellcontrol (IQ/H, defaults to IQ-6)
Roll against modified Spellcontrol to cast the spell.
This is the stage where you control all the energies you’ve built up during the two previous steps. The more energy, the harder it is.
Modifiers: -1 per mana drawn from yourself. -2 per school used in which you have not bought the technique. +1 if you have learned a similar spell, or +2 if this is a variation on a spell you already know (ex. changing a 1 mana = 1d fireball to a 2 mana = 2d fireball).
Any assisting mage further contributes his own MoS or MoF, respectively, from his own Spellcontrol roll (which will be made prior to the casters Spellcontrol, but after the casters Spellfocus). See below.
In addition to the specific modifiers listed under each step, these modifiers apply to all three steps:
- Focus: If you have a focus, add it’s bonus. Typical foci give from +1 for a little wand to +5 for a large altar or magic circle.
- Gestures: -2 for not using any gestures, or +2 for elaborate gestures. Normally, minor gestures are required (ex. small hand motion)
- Chanting: -2 for silent casting. +2 for loud, firm chanting (not necessarily yelling). Normally, you use a calm chanting.
- Crowd: A large crowd can influence the spell, giving bonuses or penalties. See below.
- Materials: If you opt to use more than the basic materials required, you may get a bonus to all three steps. Determine the desired material of the primary School used, and decide on the amount you use. See the Demon Prince section for details on materials.